Friday, May 31, 2013

Stars, Gardens, and Thunderstorms

These are some of the beautiful things in my life since my last post.
I took our dogs outside for a few minutes last night, and I looked up into a sky of beautiful, sparkling stars.  It had been a while since I had looked, really looked, at the stars and marveled at their beauty and arrangement.  It was a beautiful, warm summer night and a wonderful little surprise from God.
Today, after a great start to the morning with daily Mass, and some pleasure reading, and almost two hours of orientation for a job, I was able to go outside and help my mother and little sister with planting tomato plants, pepper plants, marigolds, and sunflowers.  It felt so good to get my hands dirty giving life to God's creation, especially after no having done something like that for so long. Breaking up the dirt, adding the soil, placing the plants in the holes and covering up the roots; the dirt that got in my sandals; talking with my mom; all of it was a wonderful little gift.
I also got to bake today!  Brownies! Mmm.
I worked on the puzzle more and listened to more of Ella Enchanted with my little sister.
And the rains came, along with some crashes of thunder: one of my favorite sounds of nature. I also love thunderstorms.  I was a bit distracted from this masterpiece because I was playing Wii volleyball with my little sister (which was also fun); but I have a fascination with them as for me they are fantastic displays of the power of God.  My love of the rain and storms also brings back to me many fond memories of last summer: I spent 10 weeks with 3 girls and we all loved the rain and the storms.  There was one night where one of our supervisors/big sisters in Christ came into the kitchen and said: "Looks like it's going to storm."  My friend Jenny and I responded with in unison with an enthusiastic: "YAY!!!" to the point where we startled her.
And now I am enjoying some good laughs with my family as I watch "Evan Almighty."

Good night to all, and take time to plant (and smell) the flowers.

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the winds long to play with your hair."

No comments:

Post a Comment